[riot-devel] Long time sleeping of the microcontroller

Bernhard Nägele bernhard at naegele-privat.de
Sat Jun 4 14:15:56 CEST 2016

Hello RIOT-enthusiasts,
I'm searching for a good way to bring a RIOT-system to lowest power
modes for several minutes.
As far as I understand the function of the xtimer is designed to provide
the
timebase for thread/task switching and providing short low-power-delays.
It is therefore not designed to support slow clock timers inside
low-power microcontrollers.
Is this true?
Can you give tell me your opinion about using the slow-clock timer
simply inside
the application? The idea is to bring the peripherals to lowest power
mode, then
stop all threads except the main thread, mask interrupts und stop then the
microcontroller under the control of the application. The wakeup could
happen
by using an interrupt from the slow-clock-timer inside the CPU.

Is this a way which could work?

Best regards,
Bernhard