[riot-devel] RIOT Vs Iotivity, AllJoyn, Thread

Martine Lenders mail at martine-lenders.eu
Thu Jun 9 01:29:52 CEST 2016

> On Wed, 08 Jun 2016 19:58:50 +0200, Baptiste Clenet wrote:
> >:
> >
> > > Hi Ivan,
> > > it would be great to have it as a pkg indeed!
> > > That's the standard way third-party stacks are integrated in RIOT.
> > > Looking forward to that,
> > > Emmanuel

> so
> > >
> > > Yes but could we find a way to separate it a bit so we can run a OIC
> > server using GNRC quickly?
>
> That's not straight forward. The OIC implementation uses the CoAP one in
> Soletta, which uses the socket abstractions as well. GNRC is all the way
> under that. Using Soletta means that you'll need one thread to run the
> main loop, from where all events will be dispatched.

Porting to GNRC won't be necessary for early integration (maybe later on we
can cherry-pick the best parts to make it work with GNRC). The emb6 stack
(a fork of Contiki's uIP) [1] I ported for RIOT [2] had similar
requirements for running in a single thread. If you want to I can help you
with integrating a foreign network stack into RIOT using `pkg`.
It's mainly about providing an adaption layer between whatever HAL the
stack uses and `netdev2`. `conn` can also be ported, but as your
descriptions sounds like Soletta is running above transport layer, this
might not be needed/suitable.

Cheers,
Martine

[1] https://github.com/hso-esk/emb6