[riot-devel] Working on port to SODAQ Autonomo (SAMD21)

Peter Kietzmann peter.kietzmann at haw-hamburg.de
Mon Jun 13 09:56:10 CEST 2016

Hi Kees,

nice to see your interest in RIOT! Find some comments inline.

Am 12.06.2016 um 21:14 schrieb Kees Bakker:
> Hi,
>
> This is a heads up to let you know I'm working on a port of
> RIOT to SODAQ Autonomo, which has an Atmel samd21 (like
> Arduino Zero).
>
> First I moved the existing cpu/samd21 tree to cpu/samr21. Then

Why? Well *if* there is a need to change the current RIOT code base, you
should open a separate PR for that.

This is a question to all: How comes the Atmel samr21-xplained pro board
has "samd21" CPU in RIOT?

> I added the samd21 CMSIS files from Arduino and the board files
> for the SODAQ Autonomo. For that, I copied several files from
> samr21-xpro.

What was wrong with current CMSIS headers?

https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/tree/master/cpu/samd21/include

> In the process I learned how to use the Atmel-ICE and how to
> debug via openocd. Nice :-)

Yepp :-)

> At the moment I can step through the hello world example. But
> I have no idea where the output is going. That's my next challenge.

By default the STDIO is mapped to UART_DEV(0) which will generally be
the first device defined in the periph_conf.h file of the board. E.g.:

https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/blob/master/boards/samr21-xpro/include/periph_conf.h#L108

The driver used should be common for samX21 MCUs but is currently not.

https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/blob/master/cpu/samd21/periph/uart.c

For Kinetis there already is a great code reusability:

https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/tree/master/cpu/kinetis_common/periph

However, you could try to set up a different STDIO UART device and
connect an external UART/USB converter to see if it's about conflicting
pins.

> Meanwhile the changes and additions are available in my fork at
>
>      git at github.com:keestux/RIOT-OS
>
> Branch sodaq-autonomo.

Best
Peter