[riot-devel] [BLE] Random 48-bit address generation

Florent-Valéry Coen florent.coen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 11:56:48 CEST 2016

Hello everyone,

I'm currently working on implementing Bluetooth Low Energy communications
on the TI CC2650STK (aka sensortag).

As you may know, each Bluetooth device is uniquely identified among its
peers using a Bluetooth Device Address (BD_ADDR). This 48-bit number plays
a role similar to the MAC address. I am now looking for a way to generate a
random static device address during radio setup. The 48-bit address shall
meet the following requirements:

   - The two most significant bits of the address shall be equal to 1
   - All bits of the random part of the address shall not be equal to 1
   - All bits of the random part of the address shall not be equal to 0

Does RIOT happen to include a set of tools that would allow me to generate
such an address?

Thank you for your time!

Best,

Florent