[riot-devel] Question regarding CCN-lite and RIOT supported platforms

Oleg Hahm oliver.hahm at inria.fr
Thu Jun 30 09:42:25 CEST 2016

Hi Adeel,

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 07:04:43PM +0000, Adeel Mohammad Malik wrote:
> Thank you for your reply. It was really helpful. I actually posted another
> question on the mailing list about STM32F4Discovery and the possibility to
> run CCN-lite over it with 802.15.4. You have answered that question too.
>
> I just have a follow up question about how the setup would look like if I
> use the Atmel at86rf23x transceiver with STM32F4Discovery. Does the
> transceiver hook up directly to the STM32F4Discovery board?

For this first question, I'm probably not the best person to answer, so maybe
others (Peter, Paco, Kaspar?) can help, but AFAIK a viable way could be to buy
an Openlabs adapter [1] that can be connected over SPI and plug it on the
Discovery Board.

> Assuming I run CCN-lite directly on 802.15.4, how would I connect the
> STM32F4Discovery board to a computer that acts as a gateway to the CCN
> network?

That's indeed an interesting question. I think the easiest solution would be
to either plug an Ethernet module to the Discovery Board or use ethos
(ETHernet Over Serial) [2] to connect to the Gateway that run a CCN-lite
client with two interfaces (one with an Ethernet socket pointing to the RIOT
node and one with an IP/UDP socket pointing to the rest of the world).

In fact, this kind of bridge functionality to translate between different
transports for CCN could be also done directly on a RIOT node, assuming that
(i) the node would have enough resources and (ii) the adaptation to IP
addresses in RIOT's CCN-lite package is there.

[1] http://openlabs.co/store/Raspberry-Pi-802.15.4-radio
[2] https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/tree/master/dist/tools/ethos
--
Everyone gets a broadcast joke