[riot-devel] Border-router and multicast

Baptiste Clenet bapclenet at gmail.com
Mon May 9 16:24:34 CEST 2016

Hi Martine,
Thank you for the answer.
Ok ff04::1 is also a multicast address so I add it to every board with
gnrc_networking and I should be able to ping them with this multicast
address.
Shouldn't I use:
ifconfig 7 add multicast ff04::1
?

I'm missing something here, could give me an explanation please:
Before, I had a transceiver plugged on my linux so I was able to ping
my board directly using fe80::address so I was able to use the local
multicast address ff02::1, now that I use border router, I'm using a
prefix 2001::db8 (why? and why documentation prefix?) Why can't I use
fe80 as before?
It's not clear in my mind so I'm not sure my question are clear as well.
Thanks

> Hi Baptiste,
> are you sending from your Linux host or your border router? Because
> `ff02::1` is link-local and should not be forwarded by a border router. Try
> set-up a multicast address with a broader scope than link-local at your
> nodes, e.g.
>
> ifconfig 7 add ff04::1
>
> And try if that works.
>
> Cheers,
> Martine

>> Hi,
>>
>> My set up:
>> Linux -> board A (border router)         board B (gnrc_networking)
>>
>> I've set up the border router, I can ping board B by changing fe80 by
>> 2001:db8:: inside Linux, but I used the multicast address ff02::1 to
>> send frames to all my nodes and this does not work. How can I do that
>> with the border router? (send frames to all my nodes from linux and
>> not by using the shell of the border router)
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> --
>> Baptiste

Baptiste