[riot-devel] Border-router and multicast

Alexander Aring alex.aring at gmail.com
Mon May 9 16:44:30 CEST 2016

On Mon, May 09, 2016 at 04:24:34PM +0200, Baptiste Clenet wrote:
> Hi Martine,
> Thank you for the answer.
> Ok ff04::1 is also a multicast address so I add it to every board with
> gnrc_networking and I should be able to ping them with this multicast
> address.
> Shouldn't I use:
> ifconfig 7 add multicast ff04::1
> ?
>
> I'm missing something here, could give me an explanation please:
> Before, I had a transceiver plugged on my linux so I was able to ping
> my board directly using fe80::address so I was able to use the local
> multicast address ff02::1, now that I use border router, I'm using a
> prefix 2001::db8 (why? and why documentation prefix?) Why can't I use
> fe80 as before?

because link-local ff80::/10 will not be routed, between lowpan and
ethernet interface, so far I know.

I think what you want to have is the npd proxy magic stuff. See [0].
Just plugin the ethernet cable and your network will be extended with
the 6LoWPAN nodes.

I need to admit, I tested the manual stuff "ip -6 neigh add proxy ..."
only and never the ndppd (btw, there exists some offers to move this
handling into kernelspace to make it more easier for users).

If you want to test it, please share your expierence.

- Alex

[0] https://github.com/DanielAdolfsson/ndppd