[riot-devel] Border-router and multicast

Martine Lenders mail at martine-lenders.eu
Wed May 11 21:42:59 CEST 2016

Hi Baptist,

First of all, sorry for the late reply.

> Ok Martine,
>
> In the start_network.sh, create_tap(), you route
> ip route add ${PREFIX} via fe80::2 dev ${TAP}
> Ok so if I want multicast, I should add
> ip route add ff04::1/64 via fe80::2 dev ${TAP}
> But it does not work

This doesn't surprise me at all: (1) multicast addresses don't have
prefixes as unicast addresses have so adding with /64 doesn't make much
sense. (2) I'm not sure you add multicast routing entries this way in
Linux. Maybe Alex can give us a hint here.

Fact is: when I ping to ff04::1 from Linux (`ping6 -I tap0 ff04::1`) there
isn't even any ping traffic going over the tap interface (checked with
wireshark). So it really seems to be some kind of routing problem.

Cheers,
Martine