[riot-devel] arduino-uno support

Oleg Hahm oliver.hahm at inria.fr
Fri May 13 09:39:10 CEST 2016

Hi!

First of all: I'm really excited about this. The atmega328p is a very widely
used MCU and having support for RIOT would be wonderful. Thanks for the effort
and definitely +100 for sharing with the community.

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 09:04:03AM +0200, Alexandre Abadie wrote:
> I have one so I'll be able to give a try and test. As a side note, the
> atmega328p has very limited ressources (32KB flash, 2KB SRAM) so this will
> limit the use cases with RIOT (no network stack, etc).

Yes, it's true that this MCU has very limited resources and it will be
challenging to create a useful application. However, I think it can be
possible to run a stripped-down network application with RIOT even on this.
Without any code optimization a minimalistic GNRC application
(examples/gnrc_minimal) requires about 3kB on Z1 (MSP430/16 bit). Compiling
the same application for arduino-mega2560 requires about 1.8kB of RAM, but
without a radio driver (and thus, without allocating stack for the L2 thread).
Hence, we're already close!

P.S. Of course, even if GNRC (or another network stack) fits on the device,
the challenge to leave space for a meaningful application remains. ;-)
--
The problem UDP jokes