[riot-devel] Murdock and merge commits

Kaspar Schleiser kaspar at schleiser.de
Wed May 25 14:41:50 CEST 2016

Hey all,

github's "merge" button works by creating a "merge commit" which is the
commit that would result by merging a PR into master.

Murdock currently rebases a PR before compile-testing it.
It inherited that (wrongly?) from the Travis scripts.

Now this somehow feels inconsistent, as a different configuration than
merged is tested. I think testing the merge commit would ideally lead to
a tested master HEAD after merge.

On the other hand, if we'd test the merge commit, it is tested against
the master HEAD at the time of committing to the PR branch, which also
leads to a differrent merge configuration if another PR gets merged in
the meantime.

Opinions?
What was the original intention of testing for "rebaseability"? Isn't
that implicitly checked by github's merge test?

Kaspar