[riot-devel] Notification: Biweekly virtual meeting @ Wed Oct 5, 2016 2pm - 3pm (RIOT Events)

Kaspar Schleiser kaspar at schleiser.de
Fri Oct 7 13:18:13 CEST 2016

Hey,

On 10/05/2016 03:27 PM, Oleg Hahm wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 05, 2016 at 03:16:11PM +0200, Martine Lenders wrote:
>> >    * How to prevent server problems we had at the weekend?
>> >           * downloads.riot-os.org was moved from kupfer to Kaspar's
>> > server due to power outage at FU
>> >        * => Kaspar became single point of failure
>> >        * Solutions:
>> >                   * More people access to kupfer
>> >            * Move to server at HAW (smlng can grant access to other people)
>> >            * More people access to Kaspar's server?
> From my point of view, the most important view is getting rid of this single
> point of failure

Please don't get rid of me! ;)

> - independent if it is hosted at FUB, HAW or Hetzner. We
> should have at least one fallback server.

For downloads.riot-os.org, kupfer worked fine for years without
downtime. Let's have the domain point back there. My webserver can serve
as backup, it is already set up. Oleg and I can set up automatic
mirroring between the two, and maybe Oleg can provide access to the
riot-os.org name server, so when sth like this happens the next time, we
can switch more quickly.

(The problem was prolonged because *noone* had a local copy of a needed
file...)

Kaspar