[riot-devel] Coding conventions amendment

Martin martin.landsmann at haw-hamburg.de
Wed Oct 12 17:35:27 CEST 2016

Am 10/12/2016 um 05:00 PM schrieb Oleg Hahm:
> Hi Martin!

>>> I don't see a reason against `size_t` - but also no good reason that speaks
>>> for it. What's the rationale?
>> size_t is suited best to be used for iterating array indices and never
>> overflow holding them [1].
>>
>> [1] http://stackoverflow.com/a/2550799
> Sorry, I don't get this. Can you elaborate?
size_t is the type returned from sizeof() call that you may use to
determine any object size (including length of static arrays),
so for my understanding the returned size_t value can not exceed the
highest possible index for any array that can be allocated on the
underlying platform.

But as Kaspar suggested we should probably state against using fixed
width and only recommend size_t.