[riot-devel] openthread and riot - license issues?

Kaspar Schleiser kaspar at schleiser.de
Thu Oct 27 15:36:53 CEST 2016

Hey,

On 10/27/2016 03:07 PM, MATTIA ANTONINI wrote:
> Any news on this topic?

Yes, FSF answered:

"
> Specifically, can we use Apache 2.0 licensed "packages" this way?

When someone who isn't the copyright holder of RIOT OS wants to further
distribute your work, they can only do so under the terms you have
specified. In this case the terms of LGPLv2.1.

If a third party wants to distribute a work which used your build system
(or any other system for that matter) to create a statically linked work
which includes RIOT OS and software licensed under the terms of the the
Apache 2.0 license, the terms of LGPLv2.1 (section 6.a) require that
third party to also provide the Apache 2.0 licensed work in an object
(not necessarily source) format which would allow the recipients to
relink against a modified version of RIOT OS.

Also see: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#LGPLStaticVsDynamic
"

I tried to clarify whether source is sufficient:

"
> "not necessarily source" means that if source is available (as would be
> the case for AL2.0 code), that is sufficient, correct?

Section 6.a of LGPLv2.1 requires that if someone distributes an
executable linked with the library, that they actually accompany that
executable with the object or source code which would enable re-linking:

"""... Accompany the work with the complete corresponding
machine-readable source code for the Library... and, if the work is an
executable linked with the Library, with the complete machine-readable
"work that uses the Library", as object code and/or source code ..."""
"

Cheers,
Kaspar