[riot-devel] LoRa support

Anon Anonymous anon1644072 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 13:50:48 CEST 2016

Hi Teemu,

In our company we're using custom MAC protocol for "Star" network topology
on LoRa layer. The sensor's data is all encoded and compressed as binary
data, no JSON, no ASCII. It helps to reduce time-on-air on lower speeds and
to increase network capacity and to reduce chance of collision on the
channel.

All sensor's reading routines and protocol are implemented in STM32L1 MCU
which is connected to the SX1276 LoRa transceiver on the same PCB.

On top of that protocol we built a gate on Linux device such as Black Swift
or RPi which is connected to our LoRa module via UART. Special software on
the Linux translates binary data received from LoRa into JSON string and
posts it into particular topic on MQTT broker which is installed on the
same Linux device.

In other words, our scheme is following:
[ Many LoRa end-devices ] <- LoRa -> [ One LoRa gate ] <- UART ->
[Linux-based gate] <- MQTT -> [Client applications listening MQTT topic]

Best regards,
Cr0s