[riot-devel] mqtt-sn, multicast and riot

Alexander Aring aar at pengutronix.de
Wed Sep 7 14:21:49 CEST 2016

Hi Michael,

On 09/07/2016 01:46 PM, Michael Frey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as probably some of you are aware, I'm working in my spare time on a
> mqtt-sn client for RIOT. The mqtt-sn specification [1] doesn't make any
> assumptions about the network stack, which is good and bad at the same
> time.
>
> The "problem" is that MQTT-SN has "broadcast messages" such as the
> SEARCHGW message for example and also defines for some message types a
> "broadcast radius". While the latter is probably easy to "fix" using the
> hop limit field in IPv6, I'm not entirely sure how to tackle the broadcast
> issue.
>
> The first thing which comes to mind is "simply" to use multicast, but the
> question is which scope? Something like "ff0n::1" (all nodes) seems a bit
> aggressive. Also RIOT doesn't seem to have a MLD implementation. Maybe it
> would be better to create a designated multicast group for MQTT-SN?

don't know if I can help you with this information. OpenThread which use
some kind of forked MLE protocol [0]. MLE itself use a lot of multicast
messages, quoting:

"This requires some form of multi-hop multicast forwarding; these messages are
 sent infrequently, so forwarding with simple flooding is sufficient."

Is this the same what you are looking for? If yes then MLE has similar
issues like you.

So far I know the OpenThread people use MPL for that [1], so no MLD.
But for constrained networks, so far I know there is also no implementation
for MPL in RIOT. :-/

> I'm wondering if somebody was stumbling upon a similar issue? There seems
> to be a proposal within the MQTT-SN community [2] which is probably
> worthwhile to consider? Thanks in advance!
>
> Best,
>  Michael
>
> [1] http://mqtt.org/new/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/MQTT-SN_spec_v1.2.pdf
> [2] https://github.com/mqtt/mqtt.github.io/wiki/MQTT-SN-Multicast-Addresses