[riot-devel] Reorganization of Cortex-M build test MCU groups

Joakim NohlgÄrd joakim.nohlgard at eistec.se
Fri Apr 21 18:46:02 CEST 2017

Dear developers,
The build test MCU groups were added as a measure to split the compile test
during CI runs into several smaller runs and to easier get an overview of
what is failing. The initial groups were based on what architectures were
supported in the code base, but when the Cortex-M groups became to large
they were split into smaller groups, where the boards were added somewhat
arbitrarily.

I would like to change this split to create groups of boards which are
likely to fail together to be in the same group. For example, the Nucleo
boards could be in one or more groups cortexm_nucleo, the SAM boards, nrf,
and kinetis boards would be suitable candidates for other groups.
Practically grouping by each xxx_common source directory makes sense in my
opinion.

The motivation behind this is to make it easier to run local build tests
when working with CPU peripheral drivers or other things which are tightly
coupled with a particular vendor.

Before I go on and create a proper PR for this change I would like to hear
any opinions on this, to save myself from doing a lot of unnecessary work
if this is a stupid idea.

Best regards,
Joakim