[riot-devel] Reorganization of Cortex-M build test MCU groups

Kaspar Schleiser kaspar at schleiser.de
Mon Apr 24 09:27:04 CEST 2017

Hey Joakim,

On 04/21/2017 06:46 PM, Joakim NohlgÄrd wrote:
> I would like to change this split to create groups of boards which are
> likely to fail together to be in the same group. For example, the Nucleo
> boards could be in one or more groups cortexm_nucleo, the SAM boards,
> nrf, and kinetis boards would be suitable candidates for other groups.
> Practically grouping by each xxx_common source directory makes sense in
> my opinion.

IMO a good idea. And as Sebastian pointed out, the build groups
themselves will be obsolete, soon.

How about introducing tags? The difference being that a board can have
more than one "tag", with some of them possibly defined by the MCU used.

e.g., every nucleo gets "nucleo", "arm" and "cortex-m", but some also
get "cortex-m0" and maybe "lowmem", others get "cortex-m4" and
"hardfloat". You get the idea.

That way we could use our buildtests like:

    $ make buildtest TAGS=msp430

or even

    $ make buildtest TAGEXPR="cortex-m0 and nucleo"

It might be that this is equivalent to what we now call "features". ;)

Kaspar