[riot-devel] Regarding RIOT joining EdgeX Foundry

Aaron Sowry aeneby at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 22:18:42 CEST 2017

Hi,

I'm generally sceptical of anything the Linux Foundation does these days. I
know the word "Foundation" has a nice community vibe to it, but ultimately
LF are an industry association working in the best interests of their
paying members (some of whom pay a lot, and therefore quite understandably
expect to see results). Potentially, these interests may not be compatible
with the goals of RIOT.

I understand that being an associate member doesn't incur any obligations,
and the exposure may be good for the RIOT project. My main concern is that
development focus will be misdirected towards Edge X rather than continuing
the excellent work done in RIOT so far, if Edge X certification was to
become an "official" goal of RIOT.

Perhaps an alternative would be to set up a special interest group within
the RIOT project, to monitor the progression of Edge X as it matures. It's
still a young initiative and may not even end up gaining traction.

Anyway, my 2c.

/Aaron