[riot-devel] Regarding RIOT joining EdgeX Foundry

Thomas Eichinger thomas at riot-os.org
Fri Apr 28 23:50:02 CEST 2017

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for your input, I very much appreciate it. Please see my comments
inline.

On 28 Apr 2017, at 13:18 PDT(-0700), Aaron Sowry wrote:

> I'm generally sceptical of anything the Linux Foundation does these
> days. I
> know the word "Foundation" has a nice community vibe to it, but
> ultimately
> LF are an industry association working in the best interests of their
> paying members (some of whom pay a lot, and therefore quite
> understandably
> expect to see results). Potentially, these interests may not be
> compatible
> with the goals of RIOT.

Potentially it does turn out that EdgeX is moving into a direction that
is not
desired by the community or incompatible with RIOT's goals. From my
point of
view however the only way to have at least a little bit of an influence
on this
is to actually participate and try. If the point should be reached at
which
there is a conflict of interests, there is always the option to drop
out.

> I understand that being an associate member doesn't incur any
> obligations,
> and the exposure may be good for the RIOT project. My main concern is
> that
> development focus will be misdirected towards Edge X rather than
> continuing
> the excellent work done in RIOT so far, if Edge X certification was to
> become an "official" goal of RIOT.

As a project we can't make any contributor work on EdgeX other than
they,
or their employers, want to. How far the involvement will go will also
depend
on how open this group is for our input. In general I can rather see
people
somehow involved in RIOT providing technical input and keeping an eye on
the
results than actually contributing huge junks to an Apache 2 licensed
code base.

> Perhaps an alternative would be to set up a special interest group
> within
> the RIOT project, to monitor the progression of Edge X as it matures.
> It's
> still a young initiative and may not even end up gaining traction.

I think this is a good idea, forming a special interest group a.k.a task
force
gathering people having time to spare to invest in EdgeX, reporting back
to the
community as we used to do for technical topics.

I hope I understood you right, does this the above make sense?

Best, Thomas