[riot-devel] Mailserver issues

Kaspar Schleiser kaspar at schleiser.de
Mon Aug 14 14:14:35 CEST 2017

Hi Adam,

On 08/11/2017 07:14 PM, Adam Hunt wrote:
> What sort of hardware would RIOT need for CI? Would a machine with,
> for example, a pair of E5-2670 (eight cores @ 2.60 GHz), Xeons between
> 64 and 128 GB of DDR3 ECC RAM, an SSD or two, and maybe some spinning
> storage suffice or are we talking about something like a highly
> available cluster consisting of half-dozen or more HP ProLiant DL380
> Gen10 machines each with a pair Xeon 8100s (28 cores @ 3.60 GHz), a
> terabyte of DDR4 RAM, and a pile of blazing fast NVMe drives?

The CI can take advantage of anything with 4g of RAM for the ccache and
another .5g of RAM per core. Long-running is preferable, as the ccache
takes a couple of builds (or a manually triggered full-build) to warm up.

We currently have 2 16-core (Dual Xeon E5-2660/2670), 2 20-core (don't
know which Xeons) and a couple of Quad-Cores. There are also about 20
dual-core VM's on the Inria CI cluster, but they're down at the moment.
See e.g., the bottom of [1] for the relative performance of these boxes.

We decided (inofficially) on a build target time of <5min to be
acceptable, which we're below if the Inria boxes are up. But with every
test or every new supported board, the build matrix grows...

I doubt that setting up quad core boxes are worth the administrative
overhead (which is basically setting up a systemd service keeping a
docker container running), but if you could spare dual 8-core Xeon
boxes, that would be nice. :)

The boxes mostly idle, and as everything runs in RAM, even if a build
starts, e.g. on my quad core workstation, I barely notice the builds.

Kaspar

[1]
https://ci.riot-os.org/RIOT-OS/RIOT/7438/d24e072af26134996ab488d8bf072142fe4618de/output.html