[riot-devel] Mailserver issues

Kaspar Schleiser kaspar at schleiser.de
Mon Aug 14 14:26:05 CEST 2017

Hi Michael,

On 08/11/2017 08:26 PM, Michael Andersen wrote:
> Having just done something similar for something else, you should really
> look at doing CI in AWS lambda. It is remarkably cheap and (more
> importantly for my case) requires nearly zero devops once set up. If you
> suddenly have 10x the CI runs, they can all run in parallel for the same
> cost. No queues.

I'm not sure the current RIOT build system requirements match AWS lambda
in order to properly make use of it.

For every build, the current CI sends "build application X for board Y"
as job to a CI queue. With git workdir caching and most of the build
already in ccache, such a job takes between .5 and 2 seconds. Without
those caches, more like 10 to 20 seconds, depending on the time needed
to check out RIOT and to a cold-ccache build. If I understand AWS lambda
correctly, it is not really suitable if that much context information is
needed.

I was looking into using AWS and the google container engine, but
without the caches (e.g., on freshly booted containers/VMs/instances),
they're not very attractive performance wise. Long-running (keeping the
caches in memory, or even using the persistent storage options), they're
not attractive price-wise.

I'd love to be proven wrong! ;)

Kaspar