[riot-devel] gnrc_border_router in native

Martine Lenders mail at martine-lenders.eu
Thu Aug 24 19:36:58 CEST 2017

> My goal is to simulate in native a setup with a border router and a
> node (so without any hardware board)

Then try socket_zep. It simulates IEEE 802.15.4 networks for native.

> No, what I want is to run gnrc_border_router in native and instead of
> communicating with a serial port, I want to use tap0 (or something
> else).
> When we do make term, we open a connection between a node and linux
> and we can send command. Why can't I use the connection to make ethos
> communicate with gnrc_border_router?

ethos (Ethernet over Serial) requires a serial port, which is not provided
in the default config of native. You need something like socket_zep (for
the non-ethernet interface), to have the normal 6LoWPAN configuration for
the border router. Native usually uses netdev_tap in master, which is
Ethernet-based.