[riot-devel] Discussion of Power Management

Robert Hartung hartung at ibr.cs.tu-bs.de
Thu Aug 31 17:13:00 CEST 2017

Hi Kaspar,

On 31.08.2017 17:02, Kaspar Schleiser wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> On 08/31/2017 04:37 PM, Robert Hartung wrote:
>>> - if not, possibly e.g., kinetis_common has pm_set(), then that should
>>> depend on pm_layered
>>
>> This means that kinetis_common should provide a module
>> **kinetis_common_pm** that provides pm_set. The CPU should then depend
>> on this module. Additionally, it should select pm_layered.
>
> Yes!
>
>>> - if not, it depends on periph_pm_fallback (which should wrap current
>>> drivers/periph_common/pm.c)
>>
>> In this case we use the existing pm_* functions from
>> drivers/periph_common/pm.c, but I would move them to the module I
>> created (pm_fallback?).
>
> Perfect!
>
>> I am working on a pm_fallback module (moved it from drivers/periph/pm.c
>> to sys/pm_fallback/pm.c) - is that the right location? Or where should
>> it be located?
>
> I think as the periph common code is in drivers/, so should the fallback
> code.

Just asked because pm_layered is in sys/ ;-)

> How about using submodules within drivers/periph_common/Makefile? E.g.,
>
> - rename drivers/periph_common/pm.c to pm_fallback.c
> - add
>     # exclude submodule sources from *.c wildcard source selection
>     SRC := $(pm_fallback.c,$(wildcard *.c))
>   to drivers/periph_common/Makefile
>
> - add "PSEUDOMODULES += periph_common_%" to makefiles/pseudomodules.mk
>
> That would compile pm_fallback *only* if periph_common_pm_fallback is
> selected. (with #5757, all periph files will become submodules...)

This does not work for me, should it be
SRC := $(filter-out pm_fallback.c,$(wildcard *.c))
?

In any case, if I added USE_MODULES += periph_common_pm_fallback, it
will not get compiled. Any idea why?

> kinetis_common/periph/pm.c can just go (and be replaced with a
> dependency on the cortem_common code).
I will check that

- Robert

--
Robert Hartung, M.Sc.

Technische Universität Braunschweig
Institut für Betriebssysteme und Rechnerverbund
Mühlenpfordtstr. 23, Raum 115
38106 Braunschweig

Fon: +49 (531) 391 - 3264
Fax: +49 (531) 391 - 5936