[riot-devel] Application + Board specific code

Robert Hartung hartung at ibr.cs.tu-bs.de
Fri Dec 8 12:17:05 CET 2017

Hi all,

as some of you might know, I am working on integrating the TU
Braunschweig's board (sensor node) "INGA" into RIOT.
There is one common platform (common/inga) and four+1 versions (inga
red, green, blue, white and a compatible version inga inphase).
And additionally a specialized version for energy harvesting (REAPer).

Both the blue version and the REAPer platform run an algorithm called
"IdealVolting" to automatically adapt the core voltage to the MCU. This
code is therefore board dependent to both boards, but also application
specific, because you might not want to use it in all cases.

My question is, where do I put this type of code? We could put it into
common/inga/idealvolting/ and create a Makefile for it and then
boards/inga-blue and boards/inga-reaper could add DIRS +=
common/inga/idealvolting/ so it is build and the application selects it
using USEMODULE += idealvolting.

The second idea was to create a pkg. However then we'd require a
separate git. Additionally, you should know, that the idealvolting uses
a bare-metal implementation for the attiny and runs RIOT on the atmega
platform. Therefore not all code in this pkg/module would be for RIOT
only, but also for the tiny part.

So ... any hints what is the right way to implement it?

Best Regards and Thanks,
Robert

--
Robert Hartung, M.Sc.

Technische Universität Braunschweig
Institut für Betriebssysteme und Rechnerverbund
Mühlenpfordtstr. 23, Raum 115
38106 Braunschweig

Fon: +49 (531) 391 - 3264
Fax: +49 (531) 391 - 5936