[riot-devel] preparing release 2018.01

Meiling, Sebastian Sebastian.Meiling at haw-hamburg.de
Fri Dec 22 14:45:13 CET 2017

Dear RIOTers,

the year 2017 is already closing, but behold ... the new year awaits us with the
upcoming release 2018.01 of RIOT-OS. As usual, there are some important dates to
schedule the overall release process, they are fixed as follows:

- preliminary/soft feature freeze:	January 10th, 2018
- final/hard feature freeze:		January 17th, 2018
- expected release date:		January 31st, 2018

The first date applies to any _high-impact_ changes or new features, such as the
new ND (which is already merged) or the proposed API update for I2C. Any other new
features that are ready 2 weeks before the expected release date, will be included.
By scheduling the release for January, 31st we can take full advantage of the first
Hack'N'Ack on Jan., 30th 2018 and also have two weeks for testing and bug fixing.

As of writing this, there are 157 open PRs tagged for release 2018.01. Surely not
all of them will make it into the release, but everyone is encourage to update and
rebase their own PRs. All maintainers are urged to look after their assignments and
take care of reviewing PRs - whenever time permits :)

A good start into 2018, relaxing holidays, and keep on RIOTing!

Cheers
  Sebastian (@smlng)