[riot-devel] Re-visiting the LED macros

Hauke Petersen hauke.petersen at fu-berlin.de
Wed Jul 12 09:32:35 CEST 2017

Hej!

See https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/pull/7352

> Besides, I would still vote for keeping the LED macros, because they are so
> simple that you can always rely on them
But they are problematic in some contexts:
- currently, they increase power consumption even if not used (LED pins
are always initialized, independent of their use)
- some boards have pin usage clashes (e.g. LED pin also used for
SPI/UART/I2C etc)

So making the LEDs optional in some way is IMHO needed in any case...

> - even in case you have fucked
> something completely up. Splitting them into a different header and maybe even
> make them optional, however, is fine with me.
Actually, I think this is pretty much what we did with #7350 and #7352.

What do you think about this approach?

Cheers,
Hauke