[riot-devel] periph/rtt intent

Joakim Nohlgård joakim.nohlgard at eistec.se
Thu Jul 13 21:32:05 CEST 2017

Dear developers,
The intent of the RTT API seem to be rather unclear. My interpretation was
that the RTT API is used for long time, low precision timers that can be
used to sleep the system for minutes, hours or days. The precision is
expected to be 1 second, the same as for the RTC API, but without the
calendar struct representation. The reason for using the RTT API is to let
it represent the current wall clock time, for tagging collected data etc,
while the xtimer (and periph timer) is used for delays and internal
precision timing of events. The RTT alarm is used to schedule wake ups or
events which should happen at a specific time of day, for example taking a
measurement every day at 2:00.
There seem to be a different interpretation as well: the RTT API is used
for any hardware timers which keep running in low power modes.
This split is seen in the board configurations, where some boards list the
RTT as a 32768 Hz timer, others list it as a 1 Hz timer. This has already
begun causing problems among the API users, see the lwmac implementation
for example, which only works if the RTT is 32768 Hz.
My interpretation was initially based on a limitation in the RTT (called
RTC in NXP documents) on Kinetis hardware which only allow integer seconds
for the alarm, while a different hardware module can be used for 1/32768
second precision, but that timer wraps around after 2 seconds (2**16
ticks).
We need to clarify the documentation and align the implementations to match
each other, or the RTT API will be useless as an abstraction layer, since
its interpretation will be platform dependent.

What are your opinions on the RTT API, or the timer APIs in general?

Best regards,
Joakim Nohlgård
RIOT developer