[riot-devel] questions about riot os

Kaspar Schleiser kaspar at schleiser.de
Mon Mar 20 18:02:54 CET 2017

Hi Arjun,

On 03/20/2017 05:03 PM, Arjun Hary wrote:
> 1) After adding the softdevice the code size jumped to 46K bytes which
> includes compilation of 6lowpan, ipv6. Is there a way to compile the
> nordic ble linbrary without adding these modules. I tried the
> DISABLE_MODULE macro and though the makefile complained , the code size
> still remained the same. It looks like 6lowpan and ipv6 are required
> modules. How do I change this.

You'll need to remove the corresponding nordic softdevice dependencies
from Makefile.dep. Currently, if you add modules to DISABLE_MODULE, they
get removed *after* dependency resolution. In this case, meta-modules
that are just used for dependency tracking are removed after their
dependencies are added in.

> 2)  Also as a general question, I see that RIOT claims the FLASH size
> usage is around 5K. What features does the 5K include. Does it incude
> pthreads, task switching, synchronization , messaging etc.

That very much depends. Please take a look at tests/minimal, which
currently compiles to ~2.7k flash for ARM platforms.

5k flash is enough for RIOT's threading, synchronization and messaging.
The pthreads wrapper will not fit, though. Also, newlib's POSIX stdio is
quite large, e.g., a simple printf will pull in ~4k of code on ARM
platforms.

Kaspar