[riot-devel] Netdev events questions

Joakim NohlgÄrd joakim.nohlgard at eistec.se
Sun May 21 16:13:07 CEST 2017

Dear developers,
I'm working on a radio driver for the Kinetis KW41Z 802.15.4 radio and
I have run into some questions regarding when to send the different
netdev events from my device driver.

Should NETDEV_EVENT_RX_COMPLETE be sent before, or after TX of ACK
packet is finished?
Should NETDEV_EVENT_RX_COMPLETE be sent even when the radio detects a
CRC failure?

My device is using hardware auto-ACK, but I can enable interrupts for
both the end of RX and at the end of TX ACK. It seem like it would be
more robust to always wait for TX ACK to be performed, but it may add
delays if the medium is very busy. It is possible to abort the TX ACK
after an RX if the CPU issues a new command quickly enough.

Best regards,
Joakim