[riot-devel] GNRC with sleepy nodes

Häring Benjamin (haej) haej at zhaw.ch
Fri Nov 17 14:45:42 CET 2017

Hi all,

I have some questions about the possibilities of RIOT in the network area. First a short introduction about my work.
I am currently working on a project for a low power sensor network with an ATSAMR21G18A from Atmel and RIOT as operating system. The idea is to connect sleeping sensor nodes in a star topology with a border router in the middle. The sensor nodes should be IPv6 capable and provide a CoAP server. Next, the node should also spend some time in the sleeping state. The resulting latencies are deliberately accepted.

I have already done some experiments with the "gnrc_border_router" and "gnrc_networking" examples. There was a question about Neighbor Discovering. Some of the time constants (e.g., DELAY_FIRST_PROBE_TIME) are inherited from RFC4861, but others have been adjusted (e.g., REACHABLE_TIME of 18s). Is there a rationale for choosing these values?

At the moment it looks like I am develop my own border router base on the "gnrc_border_router" example and trying to cache the data traffic for sleeping sensor nodes until they wake up and ask for the data (like the Thread Stack does). I would be interested if my approach is correct.

Is there also a possibility with GNRC stack that I overlooked? Or examples of this approach?

Best regards
Benjamin Häring
ZHAW School of Engineering
Benjamin Häring, BSc ZFH in Electrical Engineering
Wissenschaftlicher Assistent

InES, Institute of Embedded Systems
Technikumstrasse 22
Postfach