[riot-devel] Data Caching in GNRC, Vol 57, Issue 16

Oleg Hahm oleg at riot-os.org
Fri Nov 17 21:47:25 CET 2017

Hi Benjamin,

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 04:56:33PM +0000, Häring Benjamin (haej) wrote:
> > Regarding caching: no there is no possibility in GNRC to cache data for
> > sleeping nodes at the moment.
> Is such a solution planned for the GNRC? The stack would thus only be
> applicable to nodes with sufficient energy supply or not?

Caching is not part of the IP network stack. IMO it wouldn't make no sense at
all to implement it as part of GNRC. If you want caching, I would suggest to
either take a look at
1) CoAP resource directory [1],
2) OpenThread [2] or
3) ICN [3].

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-core-resource-directory-12
[2] https://openthread.io/platforms/riot
[3] http://conferences.sigcomm.org/acm-icn/2017/proceedings/icn17-60-slides.pdf
--
/* Host controller interrupts must not be running while calling this
 * function or the penguins will get angry. */