[riot-devel] GNRC with sleepy nodes

Daniel Evans photonthunder at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 17:26:59 CET 2017

First, I should add that I currently have a working samd21 low power implementation but to accomplish that I use rtt.c for my always running clock and then standby sleep the module whenever it gets to the idle task.  This is a hack and is not a clean implementation and means you don’t use XTIMER and no use of the nice built in protocols, I have my own hacked LoRa mesh network.

Referring specifically to the samd21, which includes the samr21 and loosely the saml21, this is the path as I see it for getting low power working natively with RIOT:

1) Add a method to make setting up the generic clocks that includes run in standby and on demand options.
2) Add flags for peripherals so that you can set the clock and run in standby
3) Tweak XTIMER so that it can be run by a low power 32kHz clock when sleeping

All of these things have been discussed and are in the works and are on the list but not currently top priority.  Low power is critical for my application and I am a little surprised it isn’t for more users, but I imagine others just hack around it as well?

Hope that helps a little,

Dan