[riot-devel] Updates to the build system - modules definition

Francisco Javier Acosta Padilla francisco.acosta at inria.fr
Mon Nov 27 16:39:04 CET 2017

Hi,

I think the problem to solve is that RIOT is very difficult to configure.

While working with other IoT operating systems, one can notice that RIOT is very hardly configurable, unless we are very familiar with the build system and specific RIOT CFLAGS and special key-words (USEMODULE, USEPKG, etc…).

Besides, I have no knowledge of a tool that can parse RIOT makefiles and give an insight about module usage, dependencies, features, etc.

Thus IMHO a way to make, first, RIOT more *friendly* configurable it’s a good and necessary feature. This would also allow to eventually build a dependency tree in a more human-readable fashion, as well as give some help to get different product lines according to the selected features.

However, I’d say that *deep* modifications to the current build system can lead to instability or buggy builds. I’m not against any improvement to the build system, but maybe as a first approach some additions like files in any more descriptive (parseable) language can help to describe RIOT in a higher level, without affecting at all the underlying system. Then, with the knowledge obtained thanks to such a description, we can imagine to generate makefiles or make “make” calls with the specific RIOT CFLAGS, USEMODULE, etc.

My 2c.

Francisco Javier Acosta Padilla
Research Engineer at INRIA Saclay
INFINE Team