[riot-devel] 6lowpan Host with SLAAC, minimum ram footprint

Arndt, Josua jarndt at ias.rwth-aachen.de
Thu Nov 30 16:17:59 CET 2017

Hello all,

I have ported Riot OS to the atmega256rfr2 and the gnrc_network example works as expected.

My setup is following:
RPI Border Router with an openlabs at86rf233 transceiver and radvd.
Jiminy Host with gnrc_network.

Ping6 with link local from Host to BR and from BR to host works.
Also ping with global Ip works.
Sending UDP Packets works.

Now I want to reduce the RAM  footprint to a minimum would need some advice how to proceed.

And another question would be: is it possible to run all necessary modules/layers needed for slaac with only 16Kbytes sram?
And how would you proceed/optimize the gnrc_network example to achieve this.

This question arises as I have ported riot os to an at x mega256 and would like to run it as host, but the sram is only 16kbytes and so
The gnrc_network example is way too large. Removing shell commands helps but is not enough.

Following the memory usage of the full gnrc_network example.
Device: atmega256rfr2

Program:  114428 bytes (43.7% Full)
(.text + .data + .bootloader)

Data:      29195 bytes (89.1% Full)
(.data + .bss + .noinit)

Thank you in advance for any advice our suggestion.
Josua Arndt