[riot-devel] RPL DAO target concat from fib

Cenk Gündoğan list-riot at cgundogan.de
Wed Oct 18 21:30:33 CEST 2017

Hey Rahul,

you are correct. The current RPL DAO building routine does not take
into account the MTU size, which is IMO the appropriate approach,
because on that level (ICMPv6) there is usually no knowledge about the
link-layer in use. If I understand you correctly, then you basically
want to move the fragmentation from the 6lowpan layer up to the
ICMPv6/RPL layer (and only for DAOs). I think in one of the older
iterations of our RPL implementation we once had a functionality to
limit the number of Target Options in the DAO to a specific number
(configurable on compile-time). But with the addition of a proper
6lowpan fragmentation, we dropped that functionality.

I may take a look at it during the weekend. If I remember correctly,
then we used to have a further parameter to the "send_DAO" function that
tracked the number of already sent Target Options. Further calls to
"send_DAO" would then add the next Target Options. If such functionality
is needed (@bergzand, @BytesGalore, @smlng any comments on this?) then
we should aim to come up with an unintrusive approach to activate /
deactivate such a behaviour with compile flags.

Cheers,
Cenk Gündoğan