[riot-devel] RPL DAO target concat from fib

Rahul Jadhav rahul.ietf at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 15:55:19 CEST 2017

Hi Oleg,

Pls find my comments inline.

Regards,
Rahul

On 19 October 2017 at 17:12, Oleg Hahm <oleg at riot-os.org> wrote:

> Hey Rahul,
>
> another clarification question:
>
> On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 11:16:17AM +0530, Rahul Jadhav wrote:
>
> > > But with the addition of a proper
> > > 6lowpan fragmentation, we dropped that functionality.
> >
> > [RJ] 6lo frag is not a good option to use and should be avoided as far as
> > possible.
>
> Is this your personal opinion or some IETF consensus?

[RJ] In IETF98, Pascal had presented the problem stmts related to 6lo
fragmentation and post-session there was a discussion (
https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/6lo/current/msg02355.html).
Also my experience with regards to 6lo frag also points to problems similar
to what were mentioned during that session.

I agree that fragmented
> ICMPv6 messages are somewhat pointless, but to rely on IPv6 fragmentation
> for
> link layers that do not support the minimum MTU for IPv6 and do not offer
> fragmentation (like IEEE 802.15.4) it still seems to be the best choice to
> me.
> Can you elaborate a bit?

[RJ] i think i didnt appropriately word my stmts. I never suggested to not
support or disable 6lo fragmentation. In my experiment i have disabled it
just to check if there are any reasons why RIOT should result in 6lo
fragmentation. I found this (DAO) case and thought, may be, this  is not a
good candidate to result in 6lo frag and can be avoided and hence the mail.