[riot-devel] Monthly meetings for organisation purposes

Francisco Javier Acosta Padilla francisco.acosta at inria.fr
Tue Oct 31 18:03:01 CET 2017

Hi RIOT developers, maintainers,

Maybe some attendants to the RIOT Summit 2017 remember that we have talked about having developer/maintainer meetings from time to time to discuss about organisational stuff, e.g. which Issues/PRs are priorities and who’s looking at them.

Well, I just moved a step forward into this and ask all of you to attend the first meeting. For strategical reasons, we’ll hold these meetings one day before the Hack&ACK, which takes place last Thursday every month. This way we can agree which PRs/issues are likely to be solved during the Hack&ACK, especially if the couple maintainer/commiter attend the meeting. However, this is not limited to the Hack&ACK and can be done at any time, we’ll discuss the way we want to work on this and if a meeting per month is enough/too much.

I have organised this using github projects[1], on which I have created several (maybe too much, to be discussed):

  - Bug tracker for the release -> This project keeps track of the bugs reported in the current release. The goal is to work on them as much/soon as possible. The first task would be to order them by priority, since for now they’re just ordered by date.

  - A project for each area on our roadmap -> Keeps track of the current work being done in a given area. The goal is to create issues/PRs and organise them by priority. A maintainer will be assigned to get the issue solved/PR merged.

  - Monthly meetings organisation -> Keeps tracking of the activities regarding our roadmap. I think this can be used mostly to agree on which parts of the roadmap we want to work on, and who’s steering the activities. I didn’t add the bug tracker here but it’s maybe convenient, though it can bee too large.

Given that today is a holiday in Germany, and most of the attendants/organisers of Hack&ACK are from there, there’s none today. We have agreed that we will move it to the next Tuesday.

Therefore, I suggest to have our first meeting next Monday. I don’t know about the hour, since we have contributors from all over the world, but I guess around 17:00 can fit most time zones.

I expect your feedback and let’s also discuss about which mean can we meet. We’re using placecam for the Hack&ACK which works more or less good, but if we can have something better and all people is able to configure it we should move to it.

Since this would be our first meeting, I’d say we’ll need to reserve around 1h for it, but I’ll try to keep the next ones no longer than 30min.

Keep RIOTing! Cheers!

P.S: @Martine, can you set up the next Hack&ACK meeting? Thanks!

--
Francisco Javier Acosta Padilla