[riot-devel] rfq commercial additions to riot-os

Thomas Eichinger thomas at riot-os.org
Tue Oct 31 23:35:52 CET 2017

Hi Richard,

On 31 Oct 2017, at 14:42 PDT(-0700), Richard Klingler wrote:

> Hmm.. I see you sometimes joining/leaving #riot-os (o;
That might be me, different Thomas. ;)

> Yes the different networks is very interesting...and definitively a
> need....
> not sure if it is easily done like adding a second interface on UNIX
> with a simple ifconfig (o;

Having two network interfaces is already possible with RIOT as well as
RIOT provides
a ifconfig command for configuration.

> The button thing...don't have to be a button..and is also not always
> possible...
>
> Let's say you want to deploy a new network....
>
> Idea is like all nodes have a default PAN as the firmware is all the
> same (more or less).
>
> You start deploying the network from the border router away by
> pressing a button
> which tells it to start a join procedure....for example by
> broadcasting on that PAN
> a message like "who ever wants to joing my new network with PAN ID
> xxx, you have 5
> minutes time"....
>
> Then on the the next node you press also a button, which then listens
> on the
> default PAN and accepts then the new PAN advertised by the router
> node...
>
> A leave would be then like pressing the button for 5 seconds...putting
> it back
> into the default PAN....

If I understand your scenario correctly, what you are suggesting
involves a 802.15.4
coordinator announcing PAN or channel changes and/or manages hardware
addresses.

I started a discussion on this topic recently but for now RIOT is still
missing these
"runtime" features.

Please be aware though that, to the best of my knowledge, nothing in the
standard keeps
a device from starting to communicate on a certain channel with a
certain PAN ID at any
point in time.

Best,
Thomas