[riot-devel] Status of new I2C API

Hauke Petersen hauke.petersen at fu-berlin.de
Mon Feb 26 10:07:56 CET 2018

Hi everyone,

sorry for the late reply. The remodeling of the I2C (master) API should
indeed be tackled ASAP (as every newly merged implementation just adds
to the work)... But this is not new and I/we have been talking about
this for ages now...

I won't be able to drive this nor to spend time on this. It would be
great, if anyone else could step up and take the lead. @Dylon: is this
maybe a job for you?!

The current state:
- tracking issue: #6577 [1]
- new interface proposal: #4926 [2]
- first thoughts on automated, HIL-style test setup: [3]  (see mostly
tests/softi2ccli/main.c)

The former idea was, to rename the 'legacy' i2c functions (as proposed
in #6575 [4]), merge the new API and then rework all the implementations
and device drivers in a step-by-step manner. But with more thoughts and
recent experiences, the way to proceed is probably using the
feature-branch approach as recently done for for the new ietif remodeling.

So the steps that I see are:
1. finish the work on the testing setup [3], as in-depth testing is the
key for the remodeling (lessons learned from the SPI remodeling...)
2. implement the proposed interface [2] on some more (restricted) target
platforms (e.g. nrf52 TWIM) to verify, that the API details do actually
work on all the CPUs that we support...
3. rewrite existing periph drivers, adapt device drivers, and test
everything thoroughly. This will take significant time and effort!

Best,
Hauke

[1] https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/issues/6577
[3]