[riot-devel] Interest in Graphical Custom IDE / Development Environment / Networking Tool for RIOT (?)

David Lyon david.lyon at clixx.io
Wed Feb 28 06:39:46 CET 2018

Hi Everyone,

 I've been on the mailing list for a while and recently have been
 revisiting my own projects and have started work on an IDE or
 Development Environment for IoT in Qt.

 Right I'm developing an IoT IDE/Communicator and thought I'd reach out
 to you RIOT Developers.

 What just occurred to me is that there might be some interest in RIOT
 have a native Qt development environment. Being platform independent,
it
 would run on either Windows, Linux or OSX. If it is of interest, I
could
 just change the branding where needed, eg logo's and screens and so
 forth to make something fit.

 In terms of functionality, one of the things that would be handy is to
 have an integrated communications terminal type window.

 Supporting all of the various types of packet data that you might want
 to exchange with RIOT. We could customise the list to get a 100% fit.

 For the Edit Window, I've come up with some editing options. Nothing
too
 complicated.

 Then the primary function would be to do a 'make' on some project
 directory, display the results and be able to do a 'Run'. Much like the
 Qt Creator program does now only in a slightly cut down form.

 These are things that I'm working on right now.

 Since RIOT has it's own makefile style system and so forth it shouldn't
 be so difficult to integrate.

 Once these basics are running, I'm planning to have some sort of Event
 Window where the User can generate and playback various types of
Network
 events. Much like the Application on Chrome 'Postman'.

 This would allow the User to examine and test code and packet exchanges
 in an interesting visual way.

 Since I have some free time at the moment and motivation to complete
 this project I'd welcome collaborators from RIOT to complete some of
the
 project.

 Any comments / interest ?

 Regards