[riot-devel] Message queue that is not bound to a reveiving thread

Gunar Schorcht gunar at schorcht.net
Thu Jul 12 13:47:59 CEST 2018

Hi Juan,

thanks a lot for your answer. I will try your approach.

> I'm curious as to the application of this, since RIOT does not run
> on multiple processor systems, what is the advantage of this
> approach over serial processing in a single thread (other than
> bypassing blocking calls).

I'm just trying to use a vendor binary library for a RIOT port that is
written for FreeRTOS. Therefore, I try to implement a small FreeRTOS
to RIOT mapping layer which provides the required functions on top of
the RIOT kernel.

In FreeRTOS the queue mechanism is independent on tasks. You define a
queue with a certain queue lenght and arbitrary item size. All
exisiting tasks can send items to and receive items from this queue,
also on single processor architectures.

Regards
Gunar