[riot-devel] STDIO only accepting ASCII due to signed char?

Steffen Robertz steffen.robertz at rwth-aachen.de
Sat May 19 17:33:56 CEST 2018

Hi,

I'm currently trying to write an ROP chain as an example on how the
Jiminy-board might be abused. During that research I noticed that RIOT
can only accept ASCII chars, but not just any arbitrary hex value. The
isr_pipeline uses chars, which on the avr platform, default to signed
chars. Therefore RIOTs behaviour becomes, at least in my opinion, kind
of undefined when sending e.g. 0xff.

Is there a specific reason for using signed chars instead of unsigned
ones?

Best regards,
Steffen