[riot-devel] makefile: info boards supported

Gaëtan Harter gaetan.harter at fu-berlin.de
Tue May 29 17:04:55 CEST 2018

Hi Jose,

for me it still makes sense to have commands to say "is it hardware
supported" and a different one for "the board have enough memory when
compiled in the reference environment".

The first one is a hard constraint and should never change (except by
adding hardware support implementation), so it is really boards supported.
The second one is a soft constraint, it can change if the RIOT version
string is not set to a fixed string like in CI and gets longer, you
change a compile flag, if your gcc version is different, if you compile
with DEVELHELP=1 or if you modify code in the main.c.
It is mainly an information for CI

So I would like to keep both.

There is already a trick to have access to the list of supported boards
by using the debug command `make
info-debug-variable-BOARD_INSUFFICIENT_MEMORY`.
A dedicated command could be added for this. I would even filter it with
`BOARDS` if the variable is set.

But adding also a summary command could be useful for your need.

In my usage when testing, I mainly need to know "is my board supported",
and then "has my board enough memory" and do not care about other boards
so I set `BOARDS=my_board` for the `info-boards-supported` target.
I may also add dedicated commands for this instead of checking if my
board is in the output.

Gaëtan