[riot-devel] Support unsupported boards

Gunar Schorcht gunar at schorcht.net
Fri Nov 30 06:11:57 CET 2018

Hi,

I don't see any reason why not to start with an existing board
definition and to change it as required.

Sparkfun ESP32 Thing and HUZZAH32 are quite generic boards like the many
others that have nothing else on board than the ESP32, e.g., all ESP32
DevKit clones (esp32-wroom-32) or the MH-ET LIVE MiniKit for ESP32
(esp32-mh-live-minikit).

These board definitions are a good starting point. The only task is to
redefine what GPIO is used for LED and what GPIOs are used for I2C, SPI
and other peripherals. I would suggest to use esp32-mh-live-minikit
since it also has a LED.

HUZZAH32 (from schematic)
	LED0_PIN	GPIO5
	LED0_ACTIVE	1
	I2C0_SCL    	GPIO22
	I2C0_SDA    	GPIO21
	SPI0_SCK    	GPIO5
	SPI0_MISO   	GPIO19
	SPI0_MOSI   	GPIO18
	SPI0_CS0    	your choice
	DAC_GPIOS	GPIO 25, 26
	ADC_GPIOS	GPIO 4, 2, 0, 15, 13, 12, 34, 35, 25, 26, 36, 39

Sparkfun ESP32 Thing
	LED0_PIN	GPIO5
	LED0_ACTIVE	1
	everything else is your decision

Of course, you have to decide which GPIOs can be used as ADC_GPIOS,
DAC_GPIOS and PWM0_GPIOS. Please not that GPIOs can be assigned to
differen functions, but once they are used with an init function, their
usage is fix.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Gunar