[riot-devel] Where to put board pictures?

Juan Ignacio Carrano j.carrano at fu-berlin.de
Tue Sep 4 10:41:16 CEST 2018

Gunar, Jose

 > In the end, it should not matter which git repository is bloated.

What about NO repository gets bloated?
This was already discussed with some other maintainers offline, but I
want to reinstate it here:

We are not *special* in any way. Compared to other projects, RIOT OS
does not have any crazy wacky requirements or limitations, and we are
facing similar issues, for which- after similar sufferings- specialized
tools were developed. Then why do we insist in doing things differently?

I'm talking about git-lfs. This tools was invented to overcome all those
issues we are mentioning in this thread. To me it is the only non-hacky
solution. The only time a user will be exposed to the tool will be when
building/editing the docs.

git-lfs does not bloat the repo because binary blobs are not stored in
there, and only the needed versions for the commits you are checking out
are downloaded (not the entire diff history as with a regular text file.)

Really, all this wiki-as-object-storage thing feels like hammering a
nail with a screwdriver. If we go with the hacky solution we will regret
it later when we have to maintain the mess.

Regards,

Juan.