[riot-devel] Where to put board pictures?

Jose jose.alamos at haw-hamburg.de
Tue Sep 4 11:48:46 CEST 2018

Hi Juan, Gunar (and Joakin who just wrote).

> I think the wiki approach to ask the maintainers everytime is quite
> impractical:
>
> 1. Maintainers are additionally burdened with the work
> 2. As the developer I can't check the doxygen with images before the
> pictures are placed in the wiki.
Agreed!

> 3. Your plan was to remove the wiki.
Just a side note here, the scope is (so far) the boards documentation.
There might be still some parts that make sense to keep them in the wiki.

> I'm talking about git-lfs. This tools was invented to overcome all those
> issues we are mentioning in this thread. To me it is the only non-hacky
> solution. The only time a user will be exposed to the tool will be when
> building/editing the docs.
>
> git-lfs does not bloat the repo because binary blobs are not stored in
> there, and only the needed versions for the commits you are checking out
> are downloaded (not the entire diff history as with a regular text file.)
>
> Really, all this wiki-as-object-storage thing feels like hammering a
> nail with a screwdriver. If we go with the hacky solution we will regret
> it later when we have to maintain the mess.

I totally agree with this for several reasons:

1. Doesn't require maintainers at all to put pictures somewhere (only
make sure the uploaded picture is a git-lfs symbolic file instead of an
actual image file)

2. It's quite standard and supported natively by GitHub (both on
displays in their web interface and the hidden repo they provide for LFS).

3. After installing git-lfs (Windows, Mac OS and Linux), the user
"transparently" puts pictures in the doc folder. The push hook will make
sure they get into the hidden repo.

4. The `clone` command only get the symlinks. If someone doesn't want to
build the documentation with pictures, then just don't call `git lfs
pull` (handled automatically in `make doc` in this PR [1])

And last but not least:

5. It's extremely easy to revert if we don't like the solution.

> o experience with git-lfs,
> but maybe someone on this list can answer: Does git-lfs let the
> contributor include the pictures and other git-lfs blobs as part of a
> Github pull request?
Only the picture. The `git push` command with git-lfs installed will
automatically upload the blob to the GH lfs repo and will replace the
file with the symlink.

Cheers,

José

[1]: https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/pull/9818