[riot-devel] Git submodule in RIOT-OS/applications

Juan Ignacio Carrano j.carrano at fu-berlin.de
Wed Sep 26 12:25:50 CEST 2018

Hi all,

On 9/26/18 9:42 AM, Jose wrote:
> Does it make sense to provide a RIOT (git submodule) folder in the
> RIOT-OS/applications, pointing to the latest RIOT release?

YES.

> - Applications will always be in a working state

Yes. I think it is more important to have it in a working state than
having them break because some external thing changed. That's what
dependency pinning is about.

> - Might be easier for new users to clone and use

And not have them scratching their heads trying to figure out why it
does not work with the latest RIOT master.

> We would require to update the submodule at the end of a Release.

Yes. But if we do things right, we should already be testing the apps
after each release anyways, so it is not an additional burden.

Regards,

Juan.