[riot-devel] USB PID number

Koen koen at bergzand.net
Mon Feb 25 14:58:38 CET 2019

Hi all,

With the whole USB peripheral PR set slowly starting to take it's final
shape, I'd like to get a RIOT-os specific vendor/product code. As Dylan
suggested[1] we can try to get a free vid/pid combination at the
pid.codes[2]. This with the assumption that a full vendor space for
$5.000 is both too much and too expensive for RIOT-os. I'm strongly
against making up/stealing a combination, even if it is for a short
while as this not how USB VID/PID's should work(tm).

My question is if anydbody has a better solution for the vid/pid
problem? If not wether anybody minds if I go ahead and fill out the
necessary info to request a PID from the pid.codes collection.

Cheers,
Koen

P.S. For those interested, the progress so far:

PR'd:

- Generic USB peripheral interface (#9830)
- USB peripheral driver for the atsamr devices (#10915)
- Preliminary USB peripheral stackĀ  (#10916)

In a branch somewhere:

- Simple USB auto init code
- USB CDC ACM with STDIO support
(https://github.com/bergzand/RIOT/tree/pr/usb/cdcacm/examples/usbus_minimal)

Not yet in a branch/very WIP but somewhat functional:

- USB peripheral driver for the nrf52840
- USB CDC ECM with netdev support

[1]: https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/pull/9830#issuecomment-428096556
[2]: http://pid.codes/howto/