[riot-devel] FreeRTOS comparison in the website

Ludwig Knüpfer ludwig.knuepfer at fu-berlin.de
Tue Mar 12 18:16:52 CET 2019

Hi,

I've been using FreeRTOS for a while now.
I've not been using their network stack.

It's a bit hard to compare, as freertos doesn't have the "cover all bases centrally" approach RIOT has. NXP for example will let you choose from several software components (TCP/IP among others) to include in a freertos bundle for their MCUs. Downloading such a bundle will then also include drivers for peripherals. Some of these drivers are available in freertos flavors that use freertos primitives to e.g. transfer data in an interrupt driven manner.

Freertos itself only uses a dedicated hardware timer (much like the riot core) that is configured as part of the port. The freertos people maintain ports for some architectures. They also maintain their TCP/IP dtack. It's decidedly not Linux-like though, so much is clear.

As far as the table goes freertos seems to check all the boxes. It probably fares comparably for the RAM/ROM metrics (just a gut feeling).

Cheers,
Ludwig