[riot-devel] Lightweight Syslog Implementation

Juan Ignacio Carrano j.carrano at fu-berlin.de
Wed May 29 15:54:48 CEST 2019

On 29/5/19 14:58, Robin wrote:

> The only problem i see is how the backend would distinguish between a
> message for serial logging and a message for something else like syslog,
> since both logging request would be done by invoking LOG(level,"message").

the "level" parameter of our current API is just a level. In unix, on
the other hand, one has "priority". From the man page of syslog()

 > The  priority argument is formed by ORing together a facility value
and a level value (described below).

The good news is that this ORing scheme is is compatible to what we are
doing now (it is like we are currently defaulting facility to zero).

On the other side of the message queue you will have:

- The PID of the originating thread. In a way this means that "LOG_PID"
is always on.
- The (facility, level) selected for that message (can that live in the
"type" field?)

With that information an appropriate policy can be implemented. How is
that policy specified and what is the policy is a matter that if think
is better to ignore for now so that we don't make too many assumptions.

Regards,

Juan.